My goal was to write a post about the best Facebook applications for personal branding. I quickly learned that the list was a very short one!
I started with the Mashable blog post: 30+ Apps for Doing Business on Facebook. As I dug further into the more interesting apps on the list, I discovered that most of these apps had a lot fewer users than the top two applications. (See the chart below).
The two most promising apps were ones for blog promotion:
- Networked Blog app – helps you promote your own blog on Facebook. This shows up on your profile and within your Boxes tab.
- Social RSS – this promotes your blog or business via RSS feed. This can show up on your profile, within your Boxes tab, or as a separate tab.
*Note: The Boxes tab is where any Facebook applications you’ve added will show up. If you haven’t added any applications, you won’t see a Boxes tab.
Some applications that looked promising:
- Testimonials – a way to gather testimonials. It’s limited because you can’t do a search of businesses.
- Professional Profile – allows you to create a tab for professional activities.
- My LinkedIn Profile – provides you with a badge that you can display on your Facebook profile.
However, when I took a look at the number of users and fans, I wasn’t convinced. Networked Blogs and Social RSS both have over 10 times the number of users than these other applications. Facebook has a user base of over 350 million and I think it’s very telling that these applications don’t have many users. Plus, these applications were given low ratings.
|my LinkedIn Profile||10,918||2359||2.8|
To summarize, I would recommend using the Networked Blog application for personal branding and promoting your blog, but stick to other sites like LinkedIn, for more robust personal branding.